by Bryana Melgar

I watched as my father looked down from the heavens, observing the people down below. He watched them live like wild animals, wearing no clothes and eating things like grass, wild berries, the root of plants, and even human flesh. He decided to send me and my brother, down to teach them how to live like civilized humans. I started to prepare my journey down to earth and teach the people there how to live. After a few days my brother and I were finally ready to leave, our father explained to us all he does for the people, like how he provides them with comfort and warmth, or how he brings sunshine and rain during the proper season. However, after all he does it is not enough. They know nothing about living in houses, wearing clothes, or raising food. There are no no villages, no tools or utensils, and they have no laws. 

He told us that we would become rulers of all the races in the region of Lake Titicaca. He told us to rule the people like how a father rules his children; to treat them like how he treats us, with tenderness and affection, with devotion and justice. We needed to teach them that our father is their provider and protector and that it is time for them to stop living like animals. 

Before we left my father had given us a golden rod, It wasn’t that big, but it held a huge purpose, it would tell us how good the soil is for cultivating crops. If the rod sinks into the earth with one thrust, then we should build the sacred city of Cuzco, the city of the sun. We finally arrived at Lake Titicaca to examine the land on foot. We walked for a few minuets trying to push the rod into the soil, only for it to not go all the way into the ground. We’ve come to the conclusion that the ground was to rocky and not suite to grow food. After awhile we found way into a valley. The land was wild and no inhabitants were in the area.

After climbing on top of the mountain we were ready to stab the rod into the soil. We walked to the crest of the hill, ready to see if the rod would go into the ground. I was nervous, but I had a feeling that it would go in. I watched as my brother plunged the rod into the dirt. We watched as the dirt covered the rod fully. We jumped in excitement, finally finding the perfect place. Manco smiled at me and said, “Our father, the sun, intends us to rule this valley, Here we will build his sacred city of Cuzco. Let us now go separate ways, you to the south and I to the north. Let us gather together the peoples we find and bring them into this fertile valley. Here we will instruct them in the ways of human beings, and we will care from them as our father has commanded us.” 

We set out to collect the people of the land, when they saw us, they were impressed by our clothing and pierced ears, and our regal bearing and our message. “Let us teach you how to lead a better life,” we said. We told them they will be able to build houses, make clothes, and raise cattle and crops. The people put their confidence in us and followed us as we brought them to a new way of living. Manco and I divided them into groups for those who would gather food and those who build houses.

I taught the woman how to weave wool and cotton into cloth and how to sew that cloth into clothing. Manco taught the men which foods were nourishing, how to choose the best seeds, and how to plant and cultivate each kind of plant. He also taught them how to channel water from the streams in the valley. In the end, with me and Manco’s help, the Incas became educated people. In honor of our father, they built a temple on the hill where we put the rod. People saw their prosperity and decided to join them. Manco taught the men to make weapons to defend their growing kingdom.

MANCO: Adapted from an Incan folktale
Skip to toolbar